March’s Recipe of the Month
Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
Yield: 8 People
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 5 hours
Total Time 5 hours 20 minutes
For the Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 1 pound baby potatoes halved
- 3 medium carrots peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions peeled and cut into 8 wedges each
- 4 cloves garlic smashed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 3 ½- to 4-pound corned beef brisket
- 2 tablespoons pickling spice
- 1 12-ounce can dark beer
- ½ green cabbage cut into large wedges
For the Horseradish Cream Sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Place the potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and thyme in a large slow cooker (6 quarts). Place the brisket on top of the vegetables and sprinkle over the pickling spice. Pour in the beer and add enough water to just cover the meat. Cover and cook on the high setting for 4 hours or the low setting for 8 hours.
Add the cabbage, cover and cook on the low setting for 1 more hour.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, horseradish, mustard, parsley and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Remove the meat and vegetables from the slow cooker and let the meat sit for 5 minutes before slicing across the grain. Serve with the vegetables and the Horseradish Cream Sauce. Spoon a bit of the cooking liquid over the corned beef and vegetables.
Calories: 586kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 130mg | Sodium: 2873mg | Potassium: 1200mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 4077IU | Vitamin C: 102mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 5mg
Comments are closed.